Monday, April 26, 2010

old Blog 11 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

November 11, 2008 Day 29

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I received a email from some dear friends Dale and Lu. We have ministered together as we prepared Parish Nurses to serve in congregations like Prince of Peace. Dale wrote a poem in his last email that I wanted to share...

There once was a lad named Tedd
He went and ended up in bed
To the Lord we are earnestly appealing
As we pray each day for his healing
And remember the promises God said.


I have been blessed by so many of you who have shared your prayers and words of loving encouragement with Lois and me. I am so fortunate to have you in my life.
Blessings

November 10, 2008 Day 28

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, November 10, 2008
It is Day 28 and recovering...

As I started my day with devotions I found myself drawn to 2 Corinthians 5 again. It is packed full of good stuff and I hope you take time to read just a little of it today sometime.

I have difficulty eating food these days...just doesn't taste right but I eat anyway because I have too keep up my strength yet "feeding on the Word of God" is rich and full each day. It comes alive and stirs in my soul...please read the selected portion below.
Don't blow by the real "Word" of how I am doing in this recovery...

2 Corinthians 5:1-15 TNIV
    1 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. 6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.7 We live by faith, not by sight...14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.



My friends, we live by faith, not by sight...we should no longer live for ourselves but for him who died for us and was raised again...

What a great message from God's Word for this day we have been given...
How am I going to live?

For Whom am I going to live?

Powerful life giving reminders of how to live a life that makes a difference no matter what your circumstance may be. Choose life and live it today for Jesus sake!


November 9, 2008 Day 27

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, November 09, 2008
Day 27  the LORD'S Day...every day is the LORD'S day as we surrender it to God and God alone in Jesus Christ!

This morning I believe there will be a video greeting during the worship service at Prince of Peace from myself. I wish I could be there in person but that will come in time after some recovery and rest. Maybe you were unable to be in church today so I am including a summary of what I shared. It is not verbatim but I have tried to capture the intent of my greeting on this Sunday. Blessings my friends.

Sunday November 9, 2008 Video Message for Prince of Peace

Greetings Prince of Peace family,

I wish I could be with you in person today. I look forward to when that day comes.

The verse that has undergirded my journey since April 2008 has been
Joshua 1:9:
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."


Today is day +27/100 after my stem cell transplant on October 13th. As you can see I still don’t have any hair but am getting stronger each day. I struggle with fatigue and side effects that go along with it. I still maintain a “no hug; no handshake” zone in crowds due to the “cold and flu” season we are entering. This will change.

I wanted to update you on my progress and thank you again for all your words of encouragement and prayers. You have been the tangible Body of Christ to Lois and me through out this journey. Life is a gift and we are choosing to “Live God’s Surprise” each day as we are able, allowed and empowered.

We received the Blue Stewardship card this week. I couldn’t help rejoice in the theme…Living God’s Surprise. As I reflected on the past 6 months I couldn’t help but think we have been “living God’s Surprise” together. You have been the God Surprise so many times in these months. I watched a lot of TV during my treatment and recovery. I watched the elections build and the economy stumble. I heard words of fear and failure…yet Prince of Peace continued to lift us up in this season. You were “Living God’s Surprise”

I rejoice today that the Prince of Peace family proclaims the Word of God in its teaching and preaching. It also shares the Word of hope and mercy in how it lives out the message of the Gospel as it shares it gifts and talents with others.

We, the Prince of Peace family, are being asked to prayerfully consider how we will support the Prince of Peace ministries as it continues to ‘Live God’s Surprise” daily. It is tempting as one watches the economy to think I need to cut back. We have seen our retirement funds melt away along with hopes for the immediate future.

As Lois and I discussed what we would do…it was clear. Prince of Peace would be the last place we would cut back. Why…because You were there when we were in great need…because You have been there for us in the deepest and darkest times of our lives these past 6 months.

We are going continue to give our full tithe (10%) and increase our tithe, as we are able for 2009. Why…because You have been “living God’s Surprise” in our lives and we gratefully will respond with all that we have to help the Prince of Peace family fulfill its mission in this world for Jesus’ sake.
Bless you all and we'll see you in church soon.
Pastor Tedd



November 6, 2008 Day 24

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, November 06, 2008
Thanksgiving and Prayer   Colossians 1:3-6 TNIV

     We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,  because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all his people— the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true word of the gospel that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world— just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God's grace.

As I spent time in Colossians this morning my heart jumped as I thought of all who have been faithful in prayer and love during this season of healing in my life. My prayer of thanksgiving for each of you sprang forth from a grateful heart. The gospel..."Good News" of what Christ is doing and has done is bearing fruit in this season. Thanks be to God.
God's grace is sure and full as we seek to serve and love God through each other and our neighbors.

Let us fix our eyes on the "goal" that Paul lays out so well in Colossians 2:2-3, 
"My goal is that they(you) may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."


May Day 24 be a blessing through us to others...

November 5, 2008 Day 23

Tedd Ostrem - Wednesday, November 05, 2008
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 TNIV

One week ago today I was released from the hospital at Mayo to return home. I can't emphasize enough how much "being home" means to me. I have clung to the verse from Joshua since the beginning days in April 2008 of this journey toward healing. The comforting and strengthen words "...for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go..." have carried me through the good days and the days of "the valley of the shadow".
I fear no evil or future. With the LORD on our right, left, above, below, in front and behind us we have no reason to fear. That my friend is "being home" in its truest sense.

One of the side effects of the whole process is weight loss. I don't mind the new weight but I am 180#s (down from 210#...yes I know, I was a little too portly!). I would ask that you pray for no more weight loss and that I am able to rebuild muscle and strength is the days ahead. Food does not have much taste so eating is a bit of a chore than a pleasure. Pray for renewed strength and energy in these days of rest and recuperation.

November 4, 2008 Day 22, Election Day

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, November 03, 2008
Day 22, November 4, 2008  Election Day USA

As we choose new leadership for our country this day, I am captured and challenged by the devotional on our website from Our Daily Bread. I hope it speaks to you as it has to me this early morning of the LORD’s gift of another day…Rejoice in all God’s gifts.

TODAY'S OUR DAILY BREAD
November 4, 2008

Choosing Our Leader
    READ: Joshua 24:14-25

    “Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve . . .But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
—Joshua 24:15

Today, millions of people in the United States will cast their votes for a slate of political leaders, including President. After months of campaign speeches, television ads, and debates, each voter has the opportunity to say to one candidate, “I choose you.” Not everyone’s favorite will win, but every voter has a choice.

Unlike a political election in which the majority rules, each of us is given the opportunity to select our personal leader each day. In the spiritual election deep within our hearts, our choice will stand no matter what others may decide.

After many years in the Promised Land of Canaan, the aged Joshua called the people of Israel together and issued this challenge: “If it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Josh. 24:15). In a great collective response, the people said, “We will serve the Lord!” (v.21).

Everyone serves some kind of god. Whom will we choose to have rule in our hearts today?  — David C. McCasland

Each day we choose the one we will follow in life.

November 3, 2008 Day 21

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, November 02, 2008
2 Corinthians 5:17 TNIV (Today's New International Version)

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!


Three weeks ago today I received my stem cell transplant. I was greeted with Happy Birthday by the transplant team. For three weeks my stem cells have been busy creating a new creation in me. New wbc's, rbc's, neutrophils, platelets etc are being created by the miraculous nature of the engrafting stem cells that were harvested from my body. A new creation...a miraculous and mystical process that one cannot see or feel yet it is happening as I write this entry.

I am overwhelmed by the miracle. Not just the physical miracle but the miracle that Paul wrote about in 2 Corinthians 5. The physical will pass but the real "new creation" in Christ will last eternally.

"Be a new and different person" was a refrain from one of the Christmas Concerts written by Paul J. Christiansen of Concordia College many years ago. How true the call to all who will listen to be a "new creation" in Christ daily. As I reflect on the past 3 weeks I can't but help rejoice in the "new". But the complete transformation of the "old" by the Spirit to the "new" in Christ is the miracle of miracles. I desire that for all whom I know and love. I desire that for all who I do not know or love. I desire that more than anything else for you. Pray this day that Jesus would create in me and you a "new creation" that would touch this world of ours for Jesus in a new and different way...His Way!

November 2, 2008 Day +20

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, November 02, 2008
On this LORD's Day I am again drawn to the Holy Scriptures that are the final authority in life and faith. The Psalms have been a constant strength and comfort in all that I have come through since April 2008.

Today I share with you the Psalm I have been meditating on this morning. As we hear rumors and talk about recession, doom and gloom, we are reminded by the psalmist that God is in charge of all things...even a recession.

Psalm 46

 1 God is our refuge and strength,
         A very present help in trouble.
 2 Therefore we will not fear,
         Even though the earth be removed,
         And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
 3
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
         
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.  Selah 
        
 4
There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
         The holy
place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
 5 God
is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
         God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
 6 The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved;
         He uttered His voice, the earth melted.
        
 7 The LORD of hosts
is with us;
         The God of Jacob
is our refuge.  Selah 
        
 8 Come, behold the works of the LORD,
         Who has made desolations in the earth.
 9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
         He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
         He burns the chariot in the fire.
        
 10 Be still, and know that I
am God;
         I will be exalted among the nations,
         I will be exalted in the earth!
        
 11 The LORD of hosts
is with us;
         The God of Jacob
is our refuge.  Selah 


May the LORD bless you this day.
Pastor Tedd

November 1, 2008 Day +19

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, November 01, 2008
I continue to rest and recuperate. I am surprised by the level of fatigue I have been experiencing. My impatience is showing...I think I should spring back quickly and it looks like that is not the case at this time. The thermostat of my body seems to be a little off. I get chilled easily while everyone else is hot or warm. Now would be a good time for "menopause" for men to be a possibility...guess not!  The body is amazingly resilient yet needs to be cared for one-day-at-a-time. I pray for patience in this season of rest and recuperation. I wish I could worship with our church family tomorrow but not able to manage that at this stage. Thanks for praying!

October 30, 2008 Day +17

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, October 30, 2008
I am enjoying being at home. I am tired but happy to be with my family. The daily joys of having a cup of coffee with my kids before they head off to work or have lunch with whoever might come home is immense. I have resolved to not miss the simple joys of life each day in these days of recovery and recuperation or for that matter the rest of my life.
Life is a gift and it should not be taken lightly. I seek not to waste time but to savor it.

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

    1 There is a time for everything,
       and a season for every activity under the heavens:

    2 a time to be born and a time to die,
       a time to plant and a time to uproot,

    3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
       a time to tear down and a time to build,

    4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
       a time to mourn and a time to dance,

    5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
       a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

    6 a time to search and a time to give up,
       a time to keep and a time to throw away,

    7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
       a time to be silent and a time to speak,

    8 a time to love and a time to hate,
       a time for war and a time for peace.

    9 What do workers gain from their toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. 13 That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment