Monday, April 26, 2010

old Blog 5 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

May 19, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Happy Birthday Mother! 
91 on the 19th...does that mean anything?

Mom had her pacemaker replaced on Friday the 15th and is doing well. We are blessed to have both Mother and Dad still in our lives. Dad has difficulty with communicating and is in the nursing home. He has had some TIA's we believe so it has affected his thought process. He still is a pleasant guy with a great smile. My Sister is here for a couple weeks. I am so fortunate to have her here at this time. It has helped in caring for Mother and Dad after Mother's surgery. God continues to provide for us in the difficult times of our lives.

I have been busy with the on going ministry at Prince of Peace. It is a great place to be in this season of our ministry lives. Our staff is working hard and busy planning for next fall as we bring closure to the Easter season. My health is improving with each week. I am feeling stronger and have less symptoms from the side issues. One of these days I am going to be symptom free. I am cancer free!! Praise God.

Last night Lois, Brian and I presented two scholarships in memory of Lindsay at the Roseville Area High School Awards night. Andrea Ferris and Chase Olson were the two very deserving Connection's students. Jan and Mary, two of the Connections Instructors, have been great friends over the years since Lindsay's death. They taught with Lindsay and have help keep her "spirit" and "enthusiasm" alive in their gifted teaching styles and skills. We give thanks for them and the Connection's Students of Roseville Area High School.
Way to go!

May 11, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, May 11, 2009
Each day is a gift. One of my kid's friend, Erik, never thought he would live to be 27 or 28 years old. I am not sure why he felt that way but now he always refers to living on "borrowed time".

I guess we all are on "borrowed time". Who owns tomorrow? Life is a gift. One of my former pastor/colleagues in ministry would start his prayers many times with the phrase, "Thank you Jesus for another day and the privilege to serve you." I think I shared that with you before but it has been on my heart today. I am living on "borrowed time" and "privileged to serve" one more day in Christ's Church. My prayer today is that God would forgive me if I wasted the privilege or missed the opportunity to re-present Him to another.

I had two conversations today with precious friends and family. I was blessed to have time with them and pray that our lives were enriched by the time spent together. 

"O' LORD, may I not take time or the privilege to serve you lightly. May I seek to use it to your glory and honor as I am given the gift of time. Amen"

May 5, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, May 05, 2009
Lois and I spent the day at Mayo. After blood tests, CT scan and a complete follow up physical exam today the good news was I am cancer free. No detectable signs of mantle cell anywhere. We rejoice and are grateful for such good news. Thank you all for the prayers and caring words you continue to share with us. I return to Mayo in 8-10 weeks for another follow up with CT scan. For now we live and serve as God has called us. With grateful hearts we rejoice and give thanks to God for his healing hand upon us.

May 2, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, May 02, 2009
Did you get a "May Basket"?
Remember when you would make one special basket and leave on the door step of that special person, ring the bell and run like....crazy so you wouldn't get caught and kissed. Those are days long gone.

Tuesday I head for Mayo to do the full day check up and tests. I will receive a progress report on my lymphoma. Praying for those words again...cancer free. The body is amazing and frustrating. Recovery continues with occasional bouts of fatigue and other minor things. I am getting stronger each month which is encouraging. Thanks again for the continued prayers and words of encouragement through out the journey.

April 26, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, April 26, 2009
It is late but felt compelled to make a short note. It has been a wonderful day. Our children's spring musical was today. After a number of years without a spring musical Katie Hines and Katie Rykal along with a faithful group of folks help our children present " We're Goin' Fishin' reflecting the Good News message of Matthew 4:19  "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." (TNIV)

I had the privilege of being at all three services and I was blessed each time. Children have a way of bringing Good News as only children can. I saw little brothers, sisters and friends watching the "big kids". I heard a comment or two from some of the "little ones" that wanted to go up front to be with the "big kids". Be patient...your time will come too.

Thanks to all who made this possible and to a church family that rejoices with the children in all they attempt to do in sharing the Good News in our church. Thanks to the parents who took the extra time to bring their children to extra practices and services.

I'm really tired tonight. But it is a "really good tired"!
Bless you all.

April 22, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Wednesday, April 22, 2009
The Journey Toward Healing continues. I have had a good week with some symptoms that linger. I pray for more strength for the daily duties I am responsible for in my life. I find fatigue to still be my shadow and related issues from the post herpetic pain from the case of shingles I had at the end of the year. I am back to work and busy. I have a great team of leaders and staff that have been a God send. We enjoyed a leadership retreat at Camp Wapogasset last Friday and Saturday. We came away rejuvenated and focused on the future of the ministry of the Prince of Peace family. God bless you all as you minister in Jesus' Name this day.

April 16, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, April 16, 2009
One year ago today I left my doctor's office with the words, "I am sorry but I think you have lymphoma."

It is hard to believe all that has transpired since then and how fast a year can pass. I am cancer free today and getting stronger each day. I have fought off shingles and several c. diffe infections in the process. I feel better today than I have in months.

Tomorrow our staff and council head for Camp Wapogasset for an overnight leadership retreat. It will be good to be at Camp Wapogasset and to celebrate life and healing. Wapogasset holds a special place in our lives in the Ostrem household. What a privilege it is to have a camp like Wapo so close. If you haven't been to camp it is well worth the drive. Have someone show you around. You will find it a special day.

My Mother returned to Moorhead after spending a couple weeks with us due to the high waters in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Her senior high-rise was evacuated and after a couple of days with friends she joined us in the cities. Today she was able to return to her routine of being with my Father at the nursing home. She was so pleased that he recognized her and asked if she was home now. A lot of the time he is unaware of our coming and goings but this was special for his wife of 67 years to hear his joy at her return. Welcome home is a wonderful phrase at any age or stage of life.

April 11, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, April 11, 2009
It has been a good Holy Week. Preparing for Easter Morning today.
My Mother will be with us for Easter. It was one of those unplanned blessings, Surprise. She has been affected by the flooding in Fargo-Moorhead area. She is an "evacuee". She may be able to return after the crest of the Red River this week sometime. We have had a good time and she has had a good rest. Dad has remained safe and sound at Golden Living Center. Mom is missing Dad but all is safe.

I have had a good week and anticipating continued weeks of improved health. The c. diffe is trying to subside and this week will probably be the week to know if it is gone or not. Shingles pain persists but I have pain meds for it when needed. My meds for the rhythm issues seem to be doing their job. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement.
Happy Easter!

April 4, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, April 04, 2009
I have not been faithful to record my journey toward healing. I came home from St Mary's late afternoon on Wednesday and have been doing well with new meds. Thanks for the continued prayers.

Looking forward to our Palm Sunday celebration tomorrow. It will be a day of mixed emotions for our family. Tomorrow would have been Lindsay's 32nd birthday. We will remember and celebrate her life. It is good that we are entering the week of Christ's Crucifixion and Resurrection. The Hope born in Jesus' Death and Resurrection is alive and vibrant as we hear again the age old story of the cross and the empty tomb. Thanks be to God.


Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, March 31, 2009


I had to put a picture of Haakon and Grandma Lois on the blog. He has the "beautiful baby cheeks" going!

It has been a day of waiting on new medications to level out.
I hope to be out of the hospital by tomorrow afternoon. It will depend on the blood work tomorrow and final assessment of the rhythm control. I am feeling much better and anxious to get back home and into the mix.

Today I lost a good friend and pastor. Pastor Conrad Jergenson died at 2pm today. He was 94 years. Our hearts and prayers go out to Marge and and family at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment