Monday, April 26, 2010

Old Blog 18 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

June 18, 2008

POP Staff Member - Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Yesterday morning, after my blood work results were faxed to Dr. Letendre at Mayo, he called me to tell me that my white count was extremely low and I should stay away from “people”. He knows what I do but puts me on “house arrest” during these times. So here I am. Healing…
Ann B, one of the members of our church family, shares a daily devotional with me that one of her co-workers writes. I found today’s to be very timely considering my current status. This is “my journey” to follow today…
(June 18th edited from Ann B’s co-worker)
Praising God is probably the single greatest weapon in your arsenal against the enemy!
God LIKES TO HEAR YOU SAY WHAT HE HAS DONE IN YOUR LIVES! Let us take our queue from a man after God’s own heart, David.

Psalm 8:
1 O LORD, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
Who have set Your glory above the heavens!

2 Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.

3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
4 What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?
5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet,
7 All sheep and oxen--
Even the beasts of the field,
8 The birds of the air,
And the fish of the sea
That pass through the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth!

TAKE A PRAISE BREAK!
Be Blessed.
Surprise me, God.

June 16, 2008

POP Staff Member - Monday, June 16, 2008
I have been showered with wonderful words, thoughts and prayers of encouragement the past few days. I can only say...I needed that!
I wrote a note to Bob P. who is one of my "heroes" at Prince of Peace. I admire Bob and know that he has been put in my life for a special purpose to walk beside me in a special way during these uncertain times. Here is what I wrote to Bob today...
...Like someone has said to me recently, “Hair is highly over-rated!” Oh well we can do this too. Have had some days of struggling with reluctantly learning to pace myself for the long haul. Discouragement wants to set in. I wanted to preach next Sunday (on discouragement and encouragement...rather timely...) and after processing with others it seems like I am supposed to rest and not push. I am drawn to and desire to preach, but know that it must be this way for now.
I feel I am not using the time or gifts that God has shared with me for now and that is difficult. I feel wired to do and just “being” is a stretch. Tomorrow I am planning to be in the office and connect with staff...
As you can hear or read, I am a "learner" or "student" of this new season of my life. As I grow through this or into it (I am not sure which is more correct?) a prayer from my past has come to be "again" a daily "blanket" to comfort and encourage me. You know it as The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr. As I pray it I hold fast to the Source of the Serenity...Jesus, the Gentle Healer.
The Serenity Prayer
Reinhold Niebuhr

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.

Thank you to all who encourage and lift Lois and me up in these days. Getting well is a process and each of you are a huge part of this journey toward healing.

June 12, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, June 12, 2008
One of my friends who has had chemo told me about the "chemo headache" and have enjoyed it for 2 days. Tomorrow will be better. I was able to be in the office for a couple hours today to touch base with staff. We have wonderful men and women on our staff serving our church family. They have been busy planning and prepping for the upcoming summer ministry events and fall! It is going to be a good summer and fall ministry year.
One of my Mother's very close friends and neighbor for 50+ years died in her sleep this morning. It is a time of "leaving" for my Mom and her friends as they begin reaching the 90's of life. Pray for her as she grieves the loss of Pearl.
John 14:1-6
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. My Father's house has plenty of room; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."
Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

June 10, 2008

POP Staff Member - Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Had a full day leaving the house at 5:30 am to make my first appointment at 7:40 am returning home around 7 pm. My neutrophils and monocytes are recovering nicely. On exam Dr Letendre indicated that everything was good except that the lymph nodes had not decreased in size. This was unexpected and a little discouraging. He said that we would continue the chemo regime today but if no change he would change protocols at the next chemo treatment. It would require a CT scan prior to treatment. Pray that the lymph nodes respond and shrink as intended. I feel tired but the chemo treatment was uneventful which is always a blessing. My daughter, Whitney was with me and two dear dental friends who I have known for almost 35+ years. They just wanted to be with me and it was really cool.
Life and faith is all about relationships. Jesus and others are the key to our joy filled lives that God has intended for all. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and enjoy each other each day we have the gift of life. As Terry Esau writes in "Be the Surprise"..."you can not choose to get; you can only choose to give!"
Lord let me be a blessing and give!

June 9, 2008

POP Staff Member - Monday, June 09, 2008
What a great day of worship at Prince of Peace yesterday. We celebrated with our graduating High School Seniors and had three “little ones” baptized too.

We were privileged to have Rebecca Walock, Cheree Johnson and Kayla Gronli share their musical gifts with us. Ella Luedtke, Robert Suckow and Kayla Gronli brought the morning message, “Taking a New Journey”. They shared their journeys of faith and how God had touched their lives through the Prince of Peace family. It was wonderful. Thank you for sharing your hearts and lives with us! What courage and faithfulness you each brought to our worship.

Natalia Terfa, Director of Youth Ministry, shared a wonderful pray, The Prayer of St. Patrick with the congregation that was presented in a gift bag to our high school seniors. Here is an excerpt of the prayer:


Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.

Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, and in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.


PS...Chemo #2 tomorrow.

June 5, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, June 05, 2008
I am learning to live with chemotherapy and the effects it has on your body. I have learned from others but now first hand. You have white blood cells called neutrophils that are the first line of defense when you have an infection. They are the “first responders” if you will. On Wednesday at staff meeting I received a call from Mayo that my neutrophils were very low and in the words of the caller, “a sitting duck” for any infection. The neutrophils get suppressed from the chemotherapy and you become immunocompromised for a short period and then they recover before your next chemo session. At least that is the plan. I have been staying away from situations that might subject me to possible airborne bacteria, viruses or whatever. Dust and mold are not friends either. Another side effect is fatigue that comes and goes. It makes you want to “nap”, a lot. This is not normal behavior for me. I have told a few folks when we visit that I am on “house arrest” because of my neutrophils being so low. Pray that my neutrophils rebound by June 10 when I am scheduled for chemotherapy session II.
I love people, action and the ministry that I have been called too. This change in status has frustrated me because I love to be in the mix. As one of my sage friends said, “Maybe God wants this to just be a time to BE and not so much a time to Do.” So I pray, read and write (a lot of email) notes to staff, council and others. Today a couple of our close friends came by and we had a time of prayer. To have your friends and wife lay hands on you to pray over you is a humbling privilege. Lois and I believe in the power of prayer and the necessity of prayer for our daily living. Pray continues to be the gift that it was promised to be by Jesus as we daily enter the courts of the King of Kings praising and pleading before Him.
Thanks again to all who are praying. We can sense daily the prayers of on our behalf.

June 3, 2008

POP Staff Member - Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Well I was able to worship and preach at all the morning services on Sunday. It was a very good day. Even though I spent a lot of energy in the process it was a joy. I am blessed to have a church family like Prince of Peace. I sense the heartfelt prayers and encouragement from each of you.
During the week of preparation for Sunday I must admit I thought once or twice I may have not made a very realistic choice to preach but God is faithful and help me follow through. I find that I need to be intentional about planning more than before. I have a tendency to be spontaneous and think I am “good-to-go” in a moments notice…not so right now.
One fun thing happened right before the 9 am service. Mama Duck and her 7 fuzzy ducklings decided to leave the center courtyard and make their way into the Welcome Center on their way out of church into the “real world”…well…we had a mad scramble of ducklings everywhere but thanks to some “brave and agile” souls we were able to collect all before they made it to the worship center. They were all reunited outside the door by the CLC and Mama walked them down to the pond for a swim. Last report was that they were enjoying their new digs and “Mama was happy”!
Never know what fun things might happen on a Sunday at Prince of Peace.
See you in church.

May 29, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, May 29, 2008
It has been a good week after I left the prednisone behind on Sunday. They say it is a miracle drug but it does have some interesting side effects. Tuesday and Wednesday I was able to be in the office. Being with the staff for our staff meeting felt good. I am a bit a bit of a work-a-holic so I was glad to be back. Wednesday was a grade A day...however today it has been a "C, C-" day. One of the side effects is fatigue. It feels like someone stole my "get up and go" during the night and it hasn't been returned yet today. Maybe tomorrow?!
See you in church on Sunday. I am going to ask that due to my compromised immune system this week that maybe we don't shake hands or hug. It is not that I don't want to but I am supposed to limit my contact and still want to be with you all in worship on Sunday. Blessings!

May 25, 2008

POP Staff Member - Sunday, May 25, 2008
Our family planted an apple tree in memory of Cayden Burud. He would have been 6 years old on May 21. Trees represent life. Fruit bearing trees like the apple remind us to look for the “fruit of our lives” in this world that we have the privilege of touching even for a few short years. Cayden touched many lives in his 5 short years. His untimely death last December was one of those unthinkable loses that strike terror in hearts of parents everywhere. Cayden’s Mom and Dad have grieved deeply yet in a miraculous way God has given them a gift of faith. They are regularly attending this wonderful church in Fergus Falls, MN. They have accepted Cayden loss and are growing in faith and life. They are incredible examples to their small group of friends from their church whom have wrapped themselves around Amanda and Chad. Someone has said that, “there is nothing like the local church when the local church is working right.” One can see the fruit of the Spirit in this local church in Fergus Falls through Amanda and Chad and their friends. Fruit being born out of the death of a little boy, Cayden, who only touched their lives for a few short years. As the apple tree sat by the porch I wondered what fruit might come of this tree. As I write this blog in the midst of recovering from chemo this past week I ponder “what fruit might come of this tree”...me? Surprise me, God.

May 22, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, May 22, 2008
Read Postscripts!!

Thanks for the continued prayers and kind thoughts. All went well after two days. I return on June 10th for round #2. I am on prednisone so it's sort of like “sleepless in Roseville” over here but it could be worse. So will not complain. I am grateful for what God can do through the healing arts! God inhabits the praises and thanksgiving of his people...

Praise Jesus, the Healer and Redeemer...for his gracious gift of life, health and peace!
As a postscript I have to add this...
I have received numerous emails and one I have to report. The emailer indicated that they had been reading “Streams in the Desert”, a classic devotional I would highly recommend for anyone’s library. She quoted Isaiah 57:2. It was a “Surprise Me God” moment! I had been searching the Word today and happened upon Isaiah 57 and read it too. Isaiah 57:18-19 had caught my heart as I read it. When I received the email with the verse from Isaiah my heart “jumped” a beat maybe like Elizabeth’s baby jump as Mary her cousin carrying baby Jesus came near…it was a God sighting Surprise! Here are the verses for you to share in…check out the whole chapter before you go to bed or tomorrow morning.

Isaiah 57:2; 18-19 TNIV

2 “Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death. 18 I have seen their ways, but I will heal them; I will guide them and restore comfort to them, 19 creating praise on the lips of the mourners in Israel. Peace, peace, to those far and near," says the LORD. "And I will heal them."
SECOND POSTSCRIPT...
In my joy of finding a connection with my emailer friend I made a mistake in the quote...She quoted Psalm 57:2 .
I must be tired or too wired tonight but the 57:2 triggered my spirit to think Isaiah 57:2...however as I re-read the quote from Psalm 57 I still believe it was a Surprise Me God moment. Decide for yourself...

Psalm 57:2
"I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me."

I still leap for joy as I write this correction...
"Sleepless in Roseville"...Pastor Tedd

No comments:

Post a Comment