Monday, April 26, 2010

old Blog 16 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

September 2, 2008

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Tomorrow is Chemo #6....final one.  End of Phase II!
Thanks for your continued prayers and encouragement.

 I have been trying to put a picture on my webpage for the past hour but guess I need to get more help. All I can say is...being a Grandparent is great like all you other grandparents told us. Of course he is beautiful!

We have a new grand dog too! Gertie came home the same day as Haakon came home from the hospital. Gertie is a black lab puppy and is a fine addition to Justin and Amy's household. They are brave souls to have a new baby and a puppy all at once. Pray for them! Uff da.

May have a picture by tomorrow. Bless you all!

We are Grandparents!!

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, August 28, 2008
August 28, 2008


Last night at 9:29 pm we became Grandparents!  Haakon James Ostrem, 6#7oz, 21.5”
with brown hair and blue eyes. He was born on his parent’s 3rd Wedding Anniversary, 8/27/08!
Mom and Dad are doing well. Birth/Life is truly a miracle!

One of Lois’ friends had said, “Prepare to be won over!” As I held little Haakon, I was reminded of the times I first held my own Justin, Lindsay and Whitney. Each one “fearfully and wonderfully made” as only God knew how. There were tears of joy and lots of chatter. New words were taking on new meaning like Grandma and Grandpa. The nurse noted that Haakon had more hair than his Grandpa. Ya sure you bettcha!

There was a sense of belonging and strangeness at the same time in the room. Just hours earlier Haakon had dwelt in a safe place with little light or sound. Now flashes from cameras, noise, new hands, new heartbeats and different smells filled his world. New but strange. But when placed in his mother’s arms on her tummy it seemed familiar and safe. Sleep and quiet came naturally. Rest came after a very long day of working to come into this new and strange world.

We are like that as we journey in this life. Not knowing what is ahead fully but having the loving arms and heartbeat of God near the whole way. Heading home; being held. It is a miracle and a gift how God’s love and presence embrace us in the midst of the journey not knowing fully what is ahead. We can rest in the midst of the strangeness of life knowing something “new” is in store. Secure in the arms of God we have hope. We can rest. We can heal. What a Gift!

Thank you, Jesus, for Haakon James.

Thank you for all the prayers and concerns for Lois. She is doing well. The clot is being managed by meds and appears to be responding as desired.

August 24, 2008

POP Staff Member - Sunday, August 24, 2008
There are times one wonders what else can happen and it does... yet God is with us in the daily stuff. My prayers are for each of our church family struggling with whatever has entered your life this day. A prayer for peace, joy and faith as we do life together at Prince of Peace. We had a quick trip to the urgent care this morning...not for me...for my Lois. In 2000, Lois had a DVT (blood clot) that became a pulmonary embolism. We had some scary days following but Lois recovered nicely after a week in the hospital. An experience like that tends to make you aware of the possibility so when there was some pain and redness we went in this morning. She does have another clot and is now on meds to help her resolve the issue.
The following Psalm speaks to these times in our lives…

Psalm 71:1-7 (from The Message translation)
I run for dear life to God, I'll never live to regret it.
Do what you do so well: get me out of this mess and up on my feet.
Put your ear to the ground and listen, give me space for salvation.
Be a guest room where I can retreat; you said your door was always open!
You're my salvation—my vast, granite fortress.

My God, free me from the grip of Wicked, from the clutch of Bad and Bully.
You keep me going when times are tough—
my bedrock, God, since my childhood.
I've hung on you from the day of my birth,
the day you took me from the cradle;
I'll never run out of praise.
Many gasp in alarm when they see me,
but you take me in stride.

August 20, 2008

POP Staff Member - Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A quote from today's Our Daily Bread Devotional:
"I do not boast that God is on my side,” wrote Abraham Lincoln. “I humbly pray that I am on God’s side.”...Amen
It is interesting how the body works. I had a good Monday and everything looked like it would be an uneventful cycle…then came Tuesday. Developed a few more “new” symptoms that I knew were possible but not experienced. They continue today and will resolve themselves as time progresses. I have heard people tell me that they were “sick and tired of being sick and tired”…now I understand. One more chemo to go in September and then we will be on to something new and different with the stem cell transplant. There is hope and healing with time.
Spent some time with staff members on Monday and it sounds like we are getting ramped up for fall. Luke’s ordination will be on September 14th with his installation on the 21st. Exciting times in the life of our Prince of Peace family. Pray for our staff and leadership as we prepare for the fall ministry season. Thanks for all your prayers. See you in church!

August 15, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, August 14, 2008
I survived chemo five! Only one more treatment to go on Phase II. Phase III Stem Cell Transplant begins on Sept 22nd. Praise God! Returned to Mayo today for the Neulasta injection that causes some bone pain/aching and nausea. So far doing fairly well. I received a devotional today that reminded me of how key Vision, Mission and Values are for the people of God to make a difference in this world God has given us to minister to and with. I am including for you to enjoy too.
Thank you again for all your emails, cards, and prayers. It makes a huge difference. Blessings!

-----------------------
DAILY INSPIRATION

**************************************
Keeping the Vision in Sight...
**************************************
Is there anything worse than blindness? Oh, yes! A person with sight and no vision.
~Helen Keller~
**************************************
A critical aspect to living a victorious life filled with joy and fruitfulness, lies in maintaining a vision of that which is to come. When our vision fades, life can easily become filled with a sense of hopeless drudgery. If you feel as though your dream has died, do whatever is necessary to set it ablaze in your consciousness once more. Write it down, and keep it ever before you. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past...it doesn't matter how current circumstances may appear...the opportunity has NOT passed you by...you're NOT too old...It is NEVER too late!
**************************************
Where there is no vision, the people perish...
~Proverbs 29:18~

Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a night vision. Then Daniel blessed the God of heaven; Daniel said, "Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, For wisdom and power belong to Him. "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding. "It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, And the light dwells with Him. To You, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, For You have given me wisdom and power; Even now You have made known to me what we requested of You..."
~Daniel 2:19-23 (NASB)~

And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision and engrave it so plainly upon tablets that everyone who passes may [be able to] read [it easily and quickly] as he hastens by. For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens to the end [fulfillment]; it will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait [earnestly] for it, because it will surely come; it will not be behindhand on its appointed day.
~Habakkuk 2:2,3 (Amp)~

...but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.
~2 Corinthians 12:1~
********************************
© Copyright 2003-2008 by Guiding Light Ministries International.
All rights reserved.
Guiding Light Ministries International
1605 Blue Spring Rd.
Fayetteville, NC 28304

August 10, 2008

POP Staff Member - Sunday, August 10, 2008
It has been a few days since I made an entry. I had the opportunity to be with my Mom and Dad for a few days and it was timely. My Mother and I had long conversations about family, friends and the future. My Mother has always been a dreamer and optimist. I think the “acorn didn’t fall far from the tree” when I look at my mother and me together. She anticipated the Olympics with passion and now is glued to the TV watching all the events as available. I hope when I am 90 I have that passion and zeal for life. Even when the body doesn’t work as well as it did years ago she still has dreams and hopes that enliven her days.
At church this morning it was comforting and encouraging to see our church family gather, young and old, to worship. It was exciting to hear we had 115 youth and children that had attended some form of Bible Camp experience between Wapo, Wilderness, Seeds, and Tim Team. We have lots of life and promise as I reflect on our youth ministry. The Welcome center hummed with conversations and laughter…signs of life and hope. Baptismal families gathered during the second service to bring their little girls to the “Waters” with hope and joy. I continue to gain strength as I receive the smiles, virtual hugs/kisses and greetings of all sorts. I am anxious to be able to touch others again as we greet. I can hardly wait for the “go ahead” to be more “normal” in my activities and calling. When I came home from church I laid down to rest and awakened 4 hours later. Uff da. Just not like me…
Wednesday we go to Mayo for the 5th chemo treatment. I must admit I rather dread the thought that I have to start the cycle over but I hold on to the thought that after Wednesday’s treatment I have only one left! This is a marathon and not a sprint so I rest and trust God will provide again during this cycle. Bless you All!

August 5, 2008

POP Staff Member - Tuesday, August 05, 2008
I have a long time friend Dick, who has been living with cancer for 6 years and recently was hospitalized from treatment related symptoms. He was diagnosed about the same time as our Lindsay. I would ask you to pray for Dick and his wife Mary Jane. Pray that those who are caring for him at this time would have wisdom and clarity at this time. Pray for timely and appropriate care. Pray for peace of mind in the midst of this marathon struggle. Pray as your heart leads you…Surprise us God.
I ask you because I have continually experienced God’s lifting, holding and sustaining presence as you have interceded for Lois and me. I believe in pray with all my heart, soul and strength. I believe God works in ways I am not aware of as others and I pray. I believe that as I listen in prayer God comforts and leads me in the journey. God is the Healer and our Salvation. Please lift up your hearts on Dick’s behalf and carry him into the “throne room of the Almighty God”.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." (Romans 12:12 TNIV)
Thank you my friends…
Tedd

August 4, 2008

POP Staff Member - Monday, August 04, 2008
As the process thinking slows in my life I have become a bit frustrated. It takes more time to process and decide. I have Lois to remind me and notes to myself just in case...however God continues to have others write into my life (“speak into my life”) through notes, cards, emails, phone calls and devotionals. Again I want to share today’s devotional from Daily Inspiration. God reminded me through the devotional writer and scripture that it is not all about me and I too have “opportunities” in front of me daily as I journey toward healing. God help me “be the surprise”!

*****************************************
Decisions, Decisions...
*****************************************
Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made.
~Robert Schuller~
******************************************
Problems only remain problems as long as we refuse to decide on an appropriate course of action to resolve them. It's been said that there are no problems, only opportunities...and it's true, that within each one, lays hidden opportunity. An opportunity to see what we are made of...an opportunity to grow through the experience...an opportunity to choose the correct response...an opportunity to gain victory over that which besets us. Determine to be decisive when faced with various trials, and steadfast in your resolve to, by faith, see your way through them...and see how quickly they become but minor stepping stones on the path to your ultimate destination!
*******************************************
These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
~1 Peter 1:6-8 (NLT)~
I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].
~Romans 12:1,2 (Amp)~
******************************************
© Copyright 2006-2008 by Guiding Light Ministries International.
All rights reserved.
Guiding Light Ministries International
1605 Blue Spring Rd.
Fayetteville, NC 28304


July 31, 2008

POP Staff Member - Thursday, July 31, 2008
Family is one of God’s most precious gifts. My nephew Brad, the US Marine pilot, and family came this week to visit “Uncle Tedd”. They are here for a week and will be visiting my parents too. Brad has been deployed to the Mideast three times in the past 6 years. He flies the Harrier jet in support of Marines on the ground.
His wife Jen and daughter Anna are so much fun to have in our home. Anna is four. She is smart and very social. We had some of our immediate family over to spend sometime with us last night. As we sat on the back patio Anna played ball with our two black labs. We laughed, recalled memories and ate. What’s a family gathering without food? We had a wonderful evening with our family. There is healing in events like this. As I continue to seek healing, God continues to place these special gifts in my life to keep my spirits high.

July 27, 2008

POP Staff Member - Sunday, July 27, 2008
Romans 14:8 TNIV (Today's New International Version)
8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord.
So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
In the midst of seeking healing through the chemo treatments we encounter others who are are on the healing journey too. Today at Camp Wapogasset there was a dedication of the New Staff Lounge in memory of Nick Duelo, one of our Calvary Kids and a friend of my children. Nick was accidentally killed 9 months before our Lindsay died. Nick was one of Lindsay's "Tim Teamers" at Wapo and later Nick became a counselor at Wapo. He was a musician and had a huge sense of humor.
As we gathered in the Crossfire Chapel with family and friends of Nick there was a real sense of joy and grief at the same time. It always amazes me how close to the surface those feelings are at all times. I had a choice to focus on grief and loss which is normal or recognize the joy that Nick and Lindsay along with hundreds of counselors and leaders had brought to Camp Wapo. The camp is a gift from God which has and continues to touch thousands of lives over the past 60 years.
I sat and drank in the music and scriptures as others shared them. I listened to the recollections of family and friends of how much Nick’s Journey of Faith had touched them and others. As we transitioned to the New Staff Lounge we hummed “Beautiful Savior”. It was a powerful reminder of Who we serve and Who we were gathered around in such a times as this. A time of prayer of dedication followed and more music.
I tell you all this because this is how the “Family of God” does life together in the face of things that don’t always make sense. Nick was 22 years old when he died yet today I saw the continued impact of one life lived fully for Jesus even if it was short. For me that brought joy and peace knowing that no matter what God continues to hold us and heal us even when we are not aware of it. It was a day filled with fatigue and friendship; faith and family.
God grant me eyes to see as you see and a heart to feel as you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment