Monday, April 26, 2010

old Blog 13 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

October 19, 2008 Day+6

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, October 19, 2008
Day +6 started with a fever. They kick into full gear when you are "neutropenic"...basically you have "0" neutrophils to fight infection if you develop one. They did a series of cultures and lung xrays. I had my first round of IV antibiotics this afternoon. I will have my second tonight. I am now an in-patient because of this change of status. I will remain in the hospital for most of the week to make it through the trough of neutropenia. My stem cell engraphment should start to produce cells by 7-15. Pray for sooner than later. I am about half way through the process tomorrow so should start to feel a little better and have more energy.

Today a childhood friend and his wife stopped by to check on Lois and me. It was so good to visit with Jim and Jane. Jim is at Mayo for some treatment and is doing very well. It is the unexpected...the God Surprise...that was my highlight for this day. Blessings!

October 18, 2008 Day+5

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, October 18, 2008
Hebrews 12:1-3
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I am enjoying our MN Gophers playing hockey tonight. I switch back and forth with the American League Championship Series game to see what's happening. Time tends to drag so to have two events to occupy this evening has been good. Sports can be an all consuming passion for some of us but I find it amazing how God has gifted these young athletes to run, hit, skate, pass, throw, shoot and frequently in an instant...a blink of the eye.

I am running the season of "this race"...keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus and the "prize" He has won for us on Calvary's Cross.

The phrased "Don't quit...Keep going!" echos in my ears. I pray for strength.

October 17, 2008 Day +4

Tedd Ostrem - Friday, October 17, 2008
Day +4...The journey continues and a bit better today. I believe that days 4-8 are the bottom out days so will be slowing down for now. It has been good to have Lois with me in these days. Keeping up the food intake is one of the greatest challenges. As it becomes more difficult to swallow and eat the process causes one to not have a great appetite on top of it all. However I eat because I need to eat.

Many of you continue to encourage us and pray for us. I wish I could forward all the wonderful emails and cards we have received. Today our friend, Carol, sent an email that helps sum up the season and faith journey we are on as we lean of God's Word and Presence...

Dear Tedd and Lois,

Thank you so much for your daily journal.   This is the toughest time for you.   I am doing my job to pray for those new stem cells to do their work,  for few side effects and  for strength to endure whatever hardships you will experience
 

From Psalm 107 verses  28 through 31:
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love.
and his wonderful deeds for men.
Psalm 71 verse 20
Though you have made me see
troubles,  many and bitter,
you will restore my life again
from the depths of the earth
You will again bring me up.
 

October 16, 2008

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, October 16, 2008
It has been a spiraling down day. I am on the downside slide so body is responding accordingly. It may be 4-6 days before the counts start to comeback so I would ask for prayers for strength to fight through this short time. It becomes not only a physical battle but a spiritual battle as well. Being physical, mental and spiritual beings any stress on one portion or the other will challenge the health of the other aspects. So I take care of the physical as best I am able, seek to remain positive and focused as possible and drink in the Spirit of the Living God in the midst of it all trusting God will hold me and Lois in this season of healing.
Blessings!

October 15, 2008

Tedd Ostrem - Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Day +2:
It was a good day. My daily appointment with Station 9-4 at Methodist went well. No interventions necessary at this point. My white count will continue to drop in the next few days and fatigue will set in as the red count drops. I will probably have some transfusions by the weekend for RBC's or platelets. It is an amazing process to have going on inside of one's body. The chemo is killing off the bone marrow as the stem cells are preparing to re-seed themselves in the marrow to produce what was killed off. Hope everyone remembers what they are supposed to do...you "go" Stem Cells!

Psalm 139 speaks to the power behind the miraculous treatment I am experiencing:

    13 For you created my inmost being;
       you knit me together in my mother's womb.

    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful,
       I know that full well.

    15 My frame was not hidden from you
       when I was made in the secret place.
       When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

    16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
       All the days ordained for me
       were written in your book
       before one of them came to be.

    17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
       How vast is the sum of them!


To God be the glory and honor and praise in all things,
Pastor Tedd

October 14, 2008 Day +1

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Serenity Prayer
Reinhold Niebuhr

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.


Day +1 of the rest of my life was another solid day. I rejoice in continued strength and good appetite. I am told that symptoms will appear between +4 through +15 so pray for minimal symptoms in these days. The picture is from Sunday after my last chemo. Lois has been a my faithful prayer partner and strong encourager during this journey. Lois has a huge faith and courage that has lifted me up during the low places we have visited. I truly married "up"!     
Lois tells me that I smell like the "horse barn" because of the DMSO preservative they froze the stem cells. I find that to be a compliment...right "Junior" (my quarter horse!)  Love ya Lois!!!!!!

stem cell transplant pictures 10/13/08

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Infusing of stem cells into blood stream. There were 10 syringes and it took about 70 minutes. Stem cell transplant was completed at 10:43 am on October 13, 2008.
They consider it a "new birthday" and call it DAY 0 of the rest of your life.
It truly is miraculous in every sense of the word. It could not happen with out the healing creative hand of God in it all. Praise God!

stem cell transplant pictures 10/13/08

Tedd Ostrem - Tuesday, October 14, 2008
  

Stem cells being drawn into syringe after unfrozen in hot water bath.

stem cell transplant pictures 10/13/08

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, October 13, 2008


This is one of the frozen packs of stem cells collected over 5 days. They are placed in a the water bath to thaw and then drawn into syringes for infusion. The young woman in the picture told Lois that her father had Mantle Cell Lymphoma and two years ago had the same stem cell procedure and is doing very well. Praise God!

October 13, 2008

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, October 13, 2008
Day 0
They great you with Happy Birthday on transplant day. Stem cell transplant was completed at 1043am (birthday #3 stem cell trans!...B-day #1 when Mom gave me birth, B-day #2 Baptism)...This is the same B-day as my grandfather who I am named after. He was born Oct 13, 1869.

I am outpatient based now. I will have appointments everyday for the next 15-21 days until engrafted then I will be free to leave Mayo for home to recover completely. Pray for minimal symptoms and side affects. Doing well.

I was blessed and comforted this morning as I opened the daily devotional from By His Light. I am enclosing it. I believe it was meant for me and others who are facing this new day and new journey. I hope you are strengthened by it too. Thanks for praying my friends...I sense the power of prayer all around Lois and me.
Pastor Tedd

____________________________
DAILY INSPIRATION
Monday, October 13th, 2008

*****************************************
Let The Journey Begin...
*****************************************
It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.
~Wendell Berry~
******************************************
There may come a time, when that which has always worked for you in the past, no longer seems to work...and the familiar paths which you have walked, have now led you to a crossroad, wondering which direction to take.  Don't fear that time or place, but take courage.  Listen closely to where your heart would lead you, and allow a clear vision to emerge.  It may very well be the precise time and place for you to find, and begin to walk in, your true destiny!    
******************************************
O LORD, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning.  Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I will never pray to anyone but you.  Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD.  Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.  Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house;     with deepest awe I will worship at your Temple.  Lead me in the right path, O LORD...Tell me clearly what to do, and show me which way to turn.
~Psalm 5:1-3,7,8 (NLT)~

Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him;  He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.  A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.
~Proverbs 16:3,9 (Amp)~

Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.  In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.
~Proverbs 3:5,6 (Amp)~
******************************************
© Copyright 2004-2008 by Guiding Light Ministries International.    All rights reserved.

Guiding Light Ministries International
1605 Blue Spring Rd.
Fayetteville, NC  28304           

No comments:

Post a Comment