Monday, April 26, 2010

old Blog 7 from 4/22/08-12/31/09

Feb 12, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, February 12, 2009
It has been a week of living in the "cancer free" zone. I return Tuesday to see if the C. diffe infection is under control. It would be nice if the shingles would go away but no end in sight as of today. We have had several deaths in our church family this past 10 days. I grieve for my church family as it struggles with the loss. May God's hand of kindness settle on us in these days of pain and loss.

Feb 8, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, February 08, 2009
What a day! Haakon James Ostrem was baptised today. It was a day of joy and celebration. God claimed Haakon as a child of God, sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the Cross of Christ forever. Haakon was a precious little guy all day. Picture after picture he smiled and kicked his legs. He had a little nap and again was up for more pictures. I was "won over" again by our grandson.

Haakon's great-grandma, Olga, enjoyed every minute of her visit. It was hard not having Dad with us but we know that he was safe and sound at Golden Living Center. They are very good to Dad and treat him with respect and dignity. It is a wonderful place.

I love being a grandpa. It is truly a gift and privilege. I am looking forward to watching Haakon grow into a wonderful young man like his father, Justin.

"There's joy, joy, joy down in my heart today!"

Feb 7, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Saturday, February 07, 2009
As of 3:30pm yesterday....Cancer free! Praise God!
Still battling a couple infections but we can manage.
Thanks for all the prayers and continued encouragement.
Blessings,
Pastor Tedd and Lois

Feb 5, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, February 05, 2009
Today is my brother-in-law Le's B-day and one of my best friends, Jerry S's B-day too! Hope they had good days. I spent the day at Mayo doing a pet-scan, blood work, chest x-rays, pulmonary function test etc. It was busy but all went well. Tomorrow will bring another CT scan and then the evaluation by my transplant physician. Pray they find no traces of cancer. We will have a plan for the follow up exams and treatment as needed.

I'll have a series of "baby vacinations" in October with boosters during the year. At the two year mark I'll have another series of vacinations and boosters. Rebuilding an immune system will take time. I will post tomorrow the outcomes so folks will know where we are and what our future holds. I am confident that I will have very positive outcomes. Blessings.

Feb 1, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, February 01, 2009
On every journey there are the unexpected delays and detours. I have encounter one this week. Yesterday was spent in Mayo ER. I have another C. Diffe infection and was dehydrated. After IV fluids and some lab tests they sent me home with again more meds. I have to keep track of the drugs on a piece of paper so I don't miss a med or take too many. I empathize with all those who track daily their medications. It can be a pain!

I was unable to make church this morning. Pastor Jim graciously agreed to bring the message for me at the last minute. We have a wonderful staff and I am grateful for each one, especially Jim this day. Thank you Jim!

I will be back at church tomorrow. The meds are starting to make a difference and am feeling better. Thursday and Friday of this week I will be at Mayo having a Pet scan, CT scan, Pulmonary function tests, and other related tests to determine my status concerning the Mantle Cell Lymphoma. We are praying that the results will be that they can not find any signs of mantle cells. Thanks for praying with us. Thanks for your continued encouragement in this journey toward healing.

January 29, 2009

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, January 29, 2009
I have gotten busy with church and neglected my blog. I will be preaching this Sunday. The next week I will head to Mayo for my big check up. Pray for good news of healing. My case of shingles continues to torment me but will get over them in time. Pray it will be sooner than later.

We will be baptizing our little Haakon James on Feb 8th. He is a cutie. Saw him last night and he has grown again. He was a little shy around us at first but warmed up to Grandma quickly. We are so blessed to be able to enjoy our family being close to us.

January 25 Day 104

Tedd Ostrem - Sunday, January 25, 2009
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

It has been a full day with our Annual Meeting taking place at noon. We have been blessed with strong and faithful leadership this past year. The year, 2008, challenged everyone in ways we would have never expected. Our Council leadership lead by Scott Lien, Jeff Schlumpberger, Vicki Weber and Kathy Johnson were fully devoted to doing the right thing, the right way, for the right reason. They spent many hours with our Church Council praying and deliberating over decisions that would affect them and others for years to come. At times the decisions being made were concerning their own friends and ministry partners at Prince of Peace. The Council stayed the course and made tough decisions. I am so proud of this group of leaders. I believe that they are among the best I have had the privilege of serving. The level of integrity was phenomenal. I know that some disagree with their decisions but their process was genuine and honest. They were faithful to prayer and deliberation through out the process. Thank you for your service to our LORD and his people at Prince of Peace.

It has been a full day and time to go to bed. I am experiencing relief from the medications due to the levels that they have been increased. My prayers are that I now may begin the process of withdrawing the medications and remain comfortable without complications. Thanks again for your prayers.

January 22, 2009 Day 101

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, January 22, 2009
I failed to blog on Day 100. I am continuing to improve and get stronger. My battle with Shingles continues. I did have a doctors visit yesterday to get more pain meds and increase a dosage on another pain med. It seems to have helped this morning. My prayer is that it will cease soon and healing can be complete and full.

I have been doing employee reviews this week and it is good to hear how God has been working in and through our staff during this time of my illness. We are blessed with wonderful people and we rejoice in them.

See you in church!

January 19, 2009 Day 98

Tedd Ostrem - Monday, January 19, 2009
Henry T. Blackaby in his Daily Devotional Online for today wrote,
"The heavenly Father’s plan from the beginning of time was to place His eternal Son in every believer. If you are a Christian, all the fullness of God dwells in you. Christ’s life becomes your life. When Christ lives in you, He brings every divine resource with Him. Every time you face a need, you meet it with the presence of the crucified, risen, and triumphant Lord of the universe inhabiting you. When God invites you to become involved in His work, He has already placed His Son in you so that He can carry out His assignment through your life."  Blackaby entitled this devotion as:  Discipleship Is Christ in You.

This Journey Toward Healing I have been on has been a journey of discipleship. It has been a challenge physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually. Keeping my eyes of faith and life on Jesus has been a daily challenge. There are days when I have failed God miserably and God picked me up, cleaned me up and set me on my way reminding me that He was always with me no matter what. No matter what! Even in my doubting, rebelling or angry days He has been there placing His eternal Son in my life.

I preached on John 1:43-51 this past Sunday; Jesus calling his disciples. I found my journey entwined in the text as I heard Nathanial say to Philip, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Can anything good come out of this Journey Toward Healing? Nathanial was found by Jesus and Nathanial came to proclaim Yes...the Son of God...the King of Israel. My journey is leading me through these challenges and God is calling me to remain faithful and of service to others.

I have on going issues with pain. The source of which has not fully been established. I manage to mask the pain with medication but this is not a desirable long-term
solution. I would ask for prayer for the pain to be diagnosed and find a way to eliminate it without medication. It has become a chronic problem that distracts me from whatever I should be focusing on.
Thank you for praying and continuing to walk alongside of my family and me in this Journey Toward Healing.

January 15, 2009 Day 94

Tedd Ostrem - Thursday, January 15, 2009
I am sitting at my desk in office at church celebrating day 94! It has been a fairly pain free day which is new and an answer to prayer. I spent the morning on message preparation for Sunday and always receive a blessing from the time spent in studying the Word. It has been an up and down health week but looking up today!

Pastor Hal and his wife, Virginia and either on their way south or nearing their departure date. Pray a prayer of thanksgiving for their ministry with us and for a safe journey with "warm weather"! God has been gracious to put Hal in my life when I was a young man and now in these days of healing and renewal. I will miss him in the office but know they will return when the days began to get warmer in Minnesota. That is one of the joys of retirement I am told. Pray that it will be true for the Stoa's.

I am scheduled to return to Mayo on February 5-6 for my "100 Day check" which will assess my status in regards to the treatment for Mantle Cell Lymphoma. It has been quite a journey and continue to give thanks for all of you who are praying us through this season of our lives.

We get a chance to take care of our grandson, Haakon tonight so I am excited about getting some quality "Haakon Time" !
Stay Warm!!
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment